Sunday, October 7, 2007

Matrix Theory

The following is a theory; and not necessarily one I want to believe:

It appears possible that the reality we perceive is simply an elaborate computer program - the Matrix. It might be the case that we are, at least effectively, alone in the universe. and that, after a certain distance past the solar system, there's nothing actually there. The universe we see or think we see might be nothing more than fabulous artwork designed to soothe (or anesthetize) us into a feeling that we're not alone, though designed by whom and why is another area of guesswork.

For one thing, 2 fairly recent scientific discoveries lend credence to the question of an artificial or holographic reality. And it's probably just speculation, not anything strong enough to postulate as a likely truth, as far as I can tell (or now). When viewed individually, neither qualifies as a "smoking gun," but together, there might be something tangible (IMO):

The first discovery is the recent consensus among astronomers of the (now) rapidly expanding universe. The second is the mysterious slowing of the Pioneer 10 and 11 probes - the most distant man-made objects. That the recent acceleration of universal expansion is definitely inexplicable, and the slowing of the Pioneer probes defies conventional laws of physics/Newtonian gravity suggests the possibility (or apparent one) that reality is strictly perceptual and, well, ultimately not real. Tie that into quantum theory - which is basically the belief that subatomic particles aren't really particles, but black holes - and abracadabra, the entirety of Creation is one grand holographic Matrix, not solid reality.

I want to believe there's more, not less. I'm fine with the quantum/holographic aspect (if true), but very much want to believe the universe is real and teeming with life. Beyond that, in accordance with my experiences (and particularly one experience I'll describe here), I want to believe we need to start seeing and thinking in terms of not just the universe; but multiverse... However, the purpose of being a serious, real truthseeker is to be prepared for anything, and to avoid fear and/or ego-driven negative reactions to the unexpected or unpleasant. The healthiest mindset is to assume everything everyone knows and believes is wrong, even if that's not literally, 100% the case.

The above (except the opening sentence-paragraph) is an edited version of something I wrote almost 3 years ago (January, '05). I now have a much better perspective on the issue based on personal experiences; or a better ability to correlate them with the Matrix theory... The most crucial item to remember is this: Even if everything is a preordained program, and we're just going through the motions of someone else's design, the effect is that, due to our immutable design for thoughts, actions and choices (as I mentioned in a previous entry), we have freewill anyway. We can't perceive invisible intelligence. Effective freewill is the same as the (perceived or believed) absolute and total kind. So, all the frightened breast-beaters about losing our freewill if we learn about intelligent nonhumans and/or whatever else of Creation don't have a logical leg on which to stand. It's all in their heads.

I refer to the weather-synchronized experiences and the perfectly-timed sounds in the household that I mentioned toward the end of Diagnoses. I don't see how those could happen without some kind of design. Or they've happened too many times for me to write them (or all of them) off as pure coincidence. Now I have something new to reveal:

As very little as I watch TV any more, it still occasionally happens even now. It used to happen fairly frequently when I'd have the TV on for long stretches and let my mind wander: A word (or occasionally 2 words or even a phrase) in my mind will sychronize with the same spoken on TV. And once in awhile it's during live (news or other) broadcasts! If all those instances aren't synchronicity with the Great Program of the Matrix or the like, they're definitely, at least a respectable percentage of the time (due to the sheer quantity), some kind of psychic connection with the whole of time itself.

Is it possible the Matrix, if real, is a repeating one? Could it be that deja vu is our subconscious reminding us that we have done this before? Or is it just another type of psychic connection to All Time; if that?

I don't know exactly how the following experience fits into the subject, but it's a prime example of how reality is, at least sometimes, strictly perceptual, and that we don't know what's behind it. If my interpretation (or definitely what I want to believe it is) is correct, we're living not in a universe; but a multiverse. (We'd then, perhaps, be looking at Matrices rather than a Matrix). Here's what happened:

Sometime in September, '03 I went to a convenience store that's near my home in Austin. Before going in, I was a bit startled that they'd "remodeled" and wondered how I'd missed such a big construction job. The door was in a different location. The checkout area was on the opposite side as before, and there were "new," different fixtures, features. At the time my mind perceived the interior as being new and definitely nicer and brighter than the store I was used to, but in retrospect it didn't look brand new like a freshly remodeled establishment. When I got to the counter to purchase my items, I thought they'd gotten a bargain on a used wooden one that replaced the cheaper, linoleum-covered counter that was there previously at the opposite end of the room.

Imagine the Twilight Zone effect when I returned to the store on October 4 only to find it exactly as it was prior to the "remodeled" day 2 or 3 weeks earlier. No changes at all. The only explanation I can conceive is that it was a venture into a parallel universe. Or whatever it was, I don't see how it could be a pure hallucination. I used the products I bought in that alternate world in this one, and there was nothing else dream-like about it. It was reality as we know it here to the smallest of details. I have no idea when I entered the other world and when I came back to this one. I don't see how sheer mental illness could explain how I kept and used the items I bought in the (apparent) other world. And I've no history of such an experience dating back to my childhood, teens and twenties up to my late thirties.

I dedicate this blog (all entries) to the memories of the late Constance Clear and Dr. John Mack. The September, '03 experience I just described occured at the approximate time of the motorcycle accident (or perhaps "accident"?) injury that ended the life of my friend and confidant Constance about a month later. I'll always miss her. She worked with people with extraordinary experiences. Mack, of course, was the pioneering Harvard psychiatrist who worked with experiencers; and wrote quite amazingly about it. He did more to lend credibility to the abduction phenomenon than anyone. What Clear and Mack had in common to me was that they both died soon (or soon enough) after I reached out to them (via e-mails) about the most personal aspect of the unexplained (that I can't discuss here) in my life. I'll always honor them. And peace and love to all.

1 comment:

Jeff Behnke said...

Nice to see you finally have a blog. Blogging is definately therapeutic. I've spent hours pacing back and forth thinking about something, almost vomitting because the thoughts won't go away. And the moment I blog it, it's just releasing and I can actually come back down to reality. That's what happened when I wrote this:

http://jeffbehnke.blogspot.com/2007/10/october-17th-2007-upon-which-i-collide.html


The Matrix-type theories of reality are definately among my favorites. Ever read VALIS by Philip K. Dick? You'd probably enjoy it. Another book you'd probably enjoy is the accompanying manual to the software called Dramatica. The holographic nature of reality comes shining through. The theory in that book should have been a philosophy as opposed to a gimmicky way to write a screenplay.